Rat poison in dogs: symptoms of poisoning & emergency tips

Rat poison in dogs is particularly treacherous. Symptoms of poisoning become noticeable late, when the poison has already attacked the organs. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to the smallest signs that the dog has eaten rat poison. At the slightest suspicion, he must immediately to the veterinarian.

Normally you will find warnings that rat poison has been interpreted, because that is required by law. Unfortunately, there are people who do not stick to it, or dog-haters who purposely interpret poison baits. Therefore, always be careful when walking with your dog and react quickly if you suspect that he has eaten rat poison. The following symptoms occur with poisoning.

Dog has eaten rat poison: symptoms of poisoning

Rat poison inhibits vitamin K synthesis in the liver. This leads to a life-threatening disorder of blood clotting. As a result, the dog that received the rat poison may bleed internally. But what are the symptoms of poisoning?

● nervousness and restlessness

● Vomiting, partly the vomit is mixed with blood

● Foam in the mouth due to increased salivation

● Remains of poison in the vomit

● Diarrhea, sometimes with blood in the stool

● Blue tongue

● Pale or bloody gums

● Blood in the urine

● nosebleed

● breathlessness

● cardiac arrhythmia

● muscle tremors

● cramps

● Declining body temperature

● apathy

● unconsciousness

Depending on how big your dog is and how much rat poison he has eaten, the symptoms can vary greatly. Also crucial is the overall health of your four-legged friend. Old dogs, puppies and chronically ill dogs are even more sensitive to the poison than healthy adult animals.

Rat poison in dogs: symptoms show up late

Rat venom is composed in such a way that it has a delayed effect and slowly kills the affected animal. This is because rats are very intelligent and instantly realize that something is wrong when their conspecific eats a substance and dies on the spot. Depending on the dose of the poison, the size of the animal and its state of health, it takes three to 48 hours before symptoms of rat poison show up.

To make matters worse, rat poison can occur in very different manifestations. Both grains and pellets, pastes or liquids may contain the poison. Often the substance is colored with food coloring, but even there is no uniform standard. Rat poison can be blue, red, pink, green, yellow, purple, black or brown.

What indicates poisoning with rat poison in dogs?

To recognize rat poison and possible poisoning in your dog, you need to look at the context. For example, have you been warned of toxic baits in your area, or have you seen any toxicant warnings? Did your dog eat something and then changed? Keep in mind with your thoughts that your dog could have eaten rat poison up to 2 days before.

Special case: dog has eaten poisoned rat

It is also possible that your pet has eaten a rat that has previously been contaminated with rat poison. This can lead to an indirect poisoning. The symptoms here are usually less pronounced than with a direct poisoning, but nevertheless they are dangerous. If in doubt, you should always visit a veterinarian and best take the dead rat. So he can check if she had rat poison in her organism and there is a danger to her dog.

Emergency! Suspected poisoning with rat poison from the vet!

As a general rule, as soon as you suspect that your dog may have eaten rat poison, drive to the vet or veterinary clinic as soon as possible. For the diagnosis, it is helpful if you bring samples of the vomit, urine and stool as well as possible remnants of the substance and describe the circumstances to the veterinarian. Tell him about the behavioral changes and other possible symptoms that you observed, what happened before, and where the alleged poisoning took place.

It is best to call the practice first so that your vet can prepare for your arrival and treatment for your dog. In a rat poisoning every minute counts. The doctor will give your dog high-dose vitamin K via syringe if there is reasonable suspicion of rat poison. This can be the effect of the poison stop. Unfortunately, the antidote can not cure the damage that has already been done to the internal organs, but only prevents it from happening.

First Aid: What you can do yourself in the case of poisoning rats

With activated carbon you can delay the effects of rat poison, so you have more time to drive to the vet with your dog. The charcoal tablets are not enough as an antidote, but can ensure that your dog gets away without major damage. The best dose of activated charcoal for your dog is best discussed with the veterinarian at the next screening appointment. Carry on with your first-aid kit pre-dosed charcoal tablets on walks, so you can react immediately in an emergency. Also for your dog pharmacy at home, they are a useful addition.

Stay calm and leash your dog. In this way you give your dog safety and avoid short circuit reactions. If your dog is already unconscious, place it in a stable lateral position and keep the airways clear. Just explain how to do that on your next routine vet visit.

Attention! Never try to induce vomiting on your own. Your dog could otherwise choke on its own vomit. Even a mouth loop is dangerous if your dog suffers from poisoning.

Prevent poisoning with rat poison in dogs: tips

Best of all, your dog does not even come into contact with rat poison. Therefore always keep your eyes and ears open, if you are warned in your area and on your usual routes for walks against rat poison. There are also rumors about poison baits that you should take seriously as a precaution. Keep your dog on a leash when walking or always in the eye, so that he does not eat anything from the ground. In addition, an anti-poison bait training helps to protect it from poisoning.

Share with friends

Leave your comment