Can the dog eat bees and wasps?

The warm summer months also bring unpleasant things like insects. Many dogs love to hunt bees or wasps. How dangerous is it when the four-legged friends eat stinging insects?

An insect bite can be quite dangerous for dogs. Especially if bees or wasps sting the quadruped in the mouth or throat, this can lead to swelling of the mucous membranes - in the worst case, the dog can suffocate.

Eat insects? Better not!

Therefore, you should try to avoid hunting your pet for flying insects. Because eating can have very dangerous consequences. When bees or wasps are trapped in a dog's mouth, they usually sting out of panic. Especially wasps are a great danger here, because in contrast to bees, they can sting several times. Until your dog actually kills the insect, valuable seconds can pass - in which the insect can stab several times.

What to do if the dog hunts bees and wasps?

It is therefore important to prohibit the hunting and, above all, the feeding of insects. This requires consistency in education, because in the worst case, ignoring this rule can lead to suffocation or an allergic shock if your four-legged friend suffers from an allergy. Important tip: Bring your dog a clear stop signal. The command "No" should be enough so that the four-legged friend breaks off any action that is taking place. Once you see your pet set out to hunt bees or wasps - stop it before it can eat the insects. When walking, you should always keep an eye on the dog, so that he does not go hunting unattended.

Share with friends

Leave your comment