Allergies in dogs: What is a food mite allergy?

If your dog suffers from a food mite allergy, then his immune system reacts to tiny, spidery animals that can nest in the dog food. But where do these feed mites actually come from and what can you do as a keeper against it?

If your dog regularly scratches the entire body and thereby even sores, a food mite allergy could be the trigger for this. This overreaction of the immune system is widespread among dogs as well as cats. Triggers are tiny mites, not visible to the naked eye, which unfortunately feel very well in the food of your four-legged friend. But not only the mites themselves, but also the feces of the parasites can make a dog, if he suffers from a food mite allergy.

Fodder mites nest here best

Feed mites are attracted to protein-containing substances such as hay, straw or grain in dog food. But even microorganisms such as molds are very inviting for the spider-like animals. Moreover, if the temperature is between 25 and 30 degrees and the air is very humid, that is a paradise for fodder mites and they multiply rapidly.

Fever mite allergy is often a cross allergy

In the rarest cases a dog has only a pure food mite allergy. The disease usually occurs together with other allergies - usually the allergy to dust mites. The feed mite allergy is therefore often a so-called cross-reaction. Now and then, it is also associated with an allergic reaction to individual constituents of the dog food - therefore it is often difficult to correctly diagnose the food mite allergy.

Where do feed mites in dog food come from?

It may happen that dog food becomes contaminated with feed mites during production. The likelihood is less with dry food than with wet food: the high temperatures in dry food production usually kill the arachnids. Under certain circumstances, the parasites can also get into the packaging of the feed after the manufacturing process. To be on the safe side, you can either buy dog ​​food that has been tested for mite-free conditions, or freeze common food for two to three days to eliminate the mites.

Share with friends

Leave your comment